Leaky roofs can be a huge problem for homeowners. They not only cause damage to the roof itself but eventually inside your home too! So if you’re wondering how to check your roof for leaks, here are some helpful tips that will help you find out if your roof is leaking and what you should do about it.
SIGNS OF A LEAKING ROOF
If you notice water stains on the ceiling of your home, or if there’s a dampness in some places but not others and an unpleasant smell to go with it (a sign of hydrogen sulfide gas), then that means the roof is leaking. Moreover, that means you could have a ventilation problem that will need to be fixed ASAP! The good news is that most leaks are easy enough to fix!
It can be tricky to find leaks, but there are a few things you can do:
- First, look around the roof for any signs of pools or puddles.
- You may also want to walk around your yard, checking for any roof damage or evidence of water leaks.
- If you see water stains on your ceiling, check for the source. This could indicate a leak that needs to be fixed.
- Look at the gutters and downspouts around your home (especially near valleys) – if they are clogged or have leaves in them, this can lead to leaks because there’s not enough space for all of the runoff from rainstorms to make it off of your roof easily.
- Check the roof from ground level. If you have a flat roof, this is most likely where leaks will start forming – so check all around it and make sure there are no signs of any water stains on your ceiling.
- Run your fingers along the shingles to see if they’re cracked or missing because these can be signs of leakage as well! If you can’t figure it out from up there, climb onto the roof and inspect around the edges where it meets with other parts of your house – this is often where leaks start forming.
- Check to see if anything has fallen down into your attic or crawlspace underneath the floorboards (this will usually create mold). Ensure all vents near these regions are closed off because they provide another pathway for rainwater to get inside.
- Finally, check for any signs of leaking pipes by turning off all of your home’s water and checking for any damp spots on the floor around them.
CALL A PROFESSIONAL ROOFER FOR MORE COMPLICATED LEAKS
If you find any of these signs, it’s time to call one of the best roofing contractors in El Paso – us! Here at Roof Solutions, El Paso, TX, we offer top-tier services. So call us or contact us online to get started!
Need residential or commercial roofing help? We serve the El Paso, TX area including roofing Las Cruces, NM, Roofing Socorro, TX, Sunland Park, NM, Deming, NM, and Alamogordo, TX!